Skip to content ↓


Free School Meals

Free school meals are available to children if you or your partner receive benefits. You only need to complete one application form for all your children, even if they attend different schools within Herefordshire.


Who can apply for free school meals

You can apply for free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit if NET earnings do not exceed £7,400
  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Child Tax Credit, where Working Tax Credit is NOT in payment AND your annual income does not exceed £16,190 (as determined by HM Revenues and Customs)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (A four week payment when your employment has ceased or your working hours reduce below 16 a week)
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

Ukranian children are likely to be eligible for free school meals. Please ensure an application form is completed at the earliest opportunity. Please advise the school if you are awaiting your NI number.


How to apply

If your child or children attend school outside the county of where you reside, you must make an application for free school meals to the relevant local council.

John Kyrle High School is under the Herefordshire Local Authority, therefore please click on the link to find out more information in relation to Herefordshire Free school meals

If you reside in Gloucestershire, please see Free School Meals - Gloucestershire County Council


Once your application has been processed by your local authority, the school is informed of the outcome via the Revenue and Benefits department. We will contact the named parent to confirm the details.


Each child who is eligible for Free School Meals, has the daily amount of £2.50 to spend via the canteen. They can spend this at any of the meal times throughout the day, but we do encourage each child to spend this amount on food and not just drinks. If you wish for your child to spend more than the allocated £2.50 per day, you can add additional funds to their ParentPay account in order to top-up their spend.

You will not see this monetary amount allocated to your ParentPay account, it is processed in a separate system.


If you wish to speak to someone within John Kyrle in relation to Free School Meals, please contact Wendy Dallison via 01989 764358.